Friday, January 13, 2006

 

Money's too tight to mention

When I was younger I was very good at saving money. I made miracles with the little income I got from my first job, and much more so when I moved with Pi in our tiny apartment.
During the last 5 years my financial situation has slowly but restlessy got worse and worse.
I lost my job in 2002 and though I immediately started a new one my salary was so ridiculous that I had to spend all I had saved. In April 2004 I found my current job which is a bit better but not so much in the end.
In the meantime Italy has gone through the worst government we've ever had after fascism. Our prime minister is a complete disaster, useful and beneficial as genital herpes when you're on a honeymoon, he's only good in taking care of his and his friends' business and is letting the country fall down a cliff. The coming of the Euro has given a good chance to all the dishonest and shameless dealers to double their prices. Clothing, shoes, food. Everything costs at least twice their previous price in Lira. Salaries haven't raised and temporary employments are the only kind of job you can get now. Don't even want to mention all the big and small scandals in economy and politics we've had to witness lately. I think many of you already know, and I get sick just thinking of that. He's obviously not the only one to blame but this would lead us to a wider speech and I don't feel like facing it now.
We've never known such a hard time. He's trying to make Italy look like the US as for flexibility in jobs and in medical assistance (which is definitely worse than ours), but he only succeded in stealing the worker's rights and impoverishing the whole nation. It might be hard to understand for a foreigner (even more so if it's me explaining... gosh, I really wish I knew this language more than I do!) but the estate market is collapsing, families are - still - the only organizations able to give help and support. As if we needed some more mommy-addiction, for God's sake! It's almost impossible to meet a man without having to deal with his mom (in presence or not it doesn't change much... but this is leading us out of the way..)
I mean, nothing to complain in having some help from my parents.. and I go crazy at the mere thought of how hard my life would have been if I hadn't them on my side in the last years but...
Jeez, I've worked since I was 19. I never ever asked them a single cent and I wouldn't have had if they hadn't been the wonderful people they are. But now, in my 30s, after more than 10 years of my independent life, here we are with this humiliating condition. I have a decent job, a decent house, a decent life.. but a definitely indecent bank account. It's dryer than the desert. And I know lots of people have to manage with similar or worse situations.

I'm dying to have a house of my own. To have something "heavy" to rely on. I know everything is transient. I can even relate to Gospel words

"Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? For after all these things do the Gentiles seek: for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things"
I may be the less catholic woman in this catholic country, but I'm deeply religious and as a general principle I do believe this. Every religion says something like that, from East to West, why should I deny it..!
Anyway, a lot of work is needed to keep calm when a flat tyre is enough for your finances to collapse!! Anne has a really smart opinion on this...

Comments:
I had not idea that the governmental aspects of the country were in such shape as you say. I hope you can have a home of your own soon.

~Deb
 
Deb - I do live on my own, but I pay a rent for that. I just wish I could buy a little home for me and my furry ones. And for the man who'll show to deserve my love, when he comes.

Anne - you do are so smart you amaze me. You always seem to find the right words to make me smile!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?